The great thing about this time of year (mid December) is that many people are reflecting on the year that was and looking forward to the year that will be... and I am no different. Looking back 2012 has been an amazing year, a year in which the great British public actually seemed to enjoy being British for a short while at least! (The Olympics and Paralympics were my personal highlights and certainly gave me an inner glow that has yet to be extinguished).
2013 does not have the obvious potential highlights that 2012 had but I think from a marketing perspective it will be a really interesting year...and here's why...
1) We will see people making a conscious decision to unsubscribe from e-mail marketing 'campaigns' ... in their droves. Our inboxes are simply too full - it's junk mail gone mad.
2) People will quietly remove you as a Facebook friend if you just keep selling to them.
3) Companies will begin to question the numbers game - they will realise that having 60,000 people following them on twitter is only useful if they are actually people who give a damn about what is being said.
4) Companies will start looking for ways of making themselves stand out from the crowd - and realise that some of this is about doing things better, or differently from their competitors.
5) Companies will start looking to support their online marketing with localised and niche advertising campaigns. Spending less on internet marketing and re-assigning funds to innovative and enterprising marketing and advertising campaigns.
6) Companies will start looking to 'trial' different marketing campaigns to work out which combination works best for them and their product.
7) Well considered PR activity will start to become a key part of a robust marketing strategy - not just a fluffy add-on but a real value add.
8) We will all be a lot less convinced by internet 'experts' or 'specialists' and start to really look at what is being delivered.
9) The public sector will continue to struggle with procurement - there will be a realisation that just because an agency ticks boxes, they are not necessarily the best people for the job.
10) None of these things are bad - these predictions give all of us in communications and marketing the chance to step up to the changing needs and demands of the today's economy.
One thing is for sure - 2013 is going to be hard work - but for those of us who are flexible and motivated it will be a year filled with challenges to rise to and opportunities to relish... I for one am looking forward to it.
If you want to know more about Frank! Communication Solutions and what we can do for your business. Then visit our website www.frankontheweb.com or call us on 01273 670 100 or e-mail email@example.com
Oh and if you want you can follow us on facebook https://www.facebook.com Frank-Communications